Wednesday, November 02, 2005

For godsakes say something!

Just after I arrived at the loans desk today I had to waste my time on one of the most vacant patrons. Generally, when people put books down in front of me without saying a word, it means they want to sign them out. This one patron put a pile of books down and said nothing, so I assumed (I know, I know) that she wanted to sign them out. She asked if I needed her card (which a few people have asked me in the past, as though I would somehow just know the name to which I should be signing out the books), and I told her 'yes'. I proceeded to desensitize the books (which means to demagnetize the 'tattle' strip inside), and once I wanded her card through and attempted to sign out the first book, I got a pop-up window that told me they were already checked out to this patron. I told her what was going on, and proceeded to wand a couple more books, with the same outcome, and she finally spoke up and said that she was returning them, not checking them out. I explained somewhat impatiently that people who put books down in front of me are signing them out unless they say otherwise. I also pointed out the dropboxes located inside and outside the library. Do people not use libraries until they get to university? I remember going to the public library when I was a kid, and using dropboxes to return my books. Why is that a new concept for so many people? There are also dropboxes at video rental stores. In this patron's defense, however, she was very apologetic, and I could tell she really felt bad about the confusion.

I think the reason I'm so shocked at how helpless some people are when it comes to using the library is that I expect everyone to be able to survive basic book-finding-and-signing-out drills, and believe or not that's often too much to ask. I'm pretty hard on myself when I can't figure out the simplest of tasks, but up until recently I didn't realize that I'm not the dumbest kid on the block. I guess I should feel a little encouraged by the simpleness, even if it means I secretly roll my eyes a lot more often during the day. I've just got to remember to be patient, no matter how weirdly idiotic the guy on the other side of the desk.

And then there are the patrons who are really friendly, who make jokes about their own pathetic library skills or about life in general. They make things fun, and I do my best to help them out, even if it means overriding system rules. The library world is like any other place; it all balances itself out somehow.

Next, please.

1 Comments:

Blogger Punk Penguin said...

what about the patrons that stand in front of you and ask, "can i renew my books?" when you respond, "Yes" they just stand there until you finally ask, "can i have your card?" sheesh. we also have MANY patron's that come by the desk and ask if they have any books in. well, let me put on my psychic helmet and i'll let you know. how about the patrons who have no card, no ID and ask if you can check out the books they want now from the books they returned on the way in? huh?

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home